Since we have hit 2014 and conference play has begun in college basketball, now is as good a time as any to bring out the first mock draft for the 2014 NBA Draft, which will be held on Thursday, June 26.
All season long you have heard about the phenomenon that is the freshman in college basketball. Andrew Wiggins and Jabari Parker have been neck-and-neck in terms of who will be drafted first overall when the time comes. Their stocks are so high that before the NBA season even began, speculation about certain teams purposely tanking their seasons in hopes to draft either Wiggins or Parker ran wild. Some of the teams expected to tank have been some of the best success stories this season and ones that were expected to challenge for an NBA Finals appearance may be better off tanking.
It’s been a wild ride thus far in both the NBA and college basketball, which means that the 2014 NBA Draft is that much more interesting, as if it wasn’t before.
Before we get into the selections, a few notes need to be addressed:
* Only the first round of the draft will be covered this time. A second round mock is in the works and could come out shortly.
* No foreign players are in this mock draft. While they are not going to be left out of the mocks forever, right now it is too difficult to construct them into the mock because I personally do not have access to game film or in-depth stats as some draft analysts do. There’s also the possibility that some of the top foreign prospects either won’t enter the draft or will remain overseas for the next two years after being draft. Players such as Dante Exum and Dario Saric will be added to the list eventually, just not right now.
* Several factors were considered when constructed this mock draft. It’s not all about who’s the top player determining who is drafted where. Status of the franchise, player contracts, team needs and draft history were all influences on the draft picks.
* All stats are as of Jan. 3
* Feel free to let me know what your thoughts on the picks are down in the comment section below or tell me how wrong I am on Twitter (@NathanGiese).
With that, let’s get started with the No.1 pick, which currently would belong to the Milwaukee Bucks.