Since today is Jan. 1, 2014, and a lot of people are setting goals now let’s look at some goals for the Memphis Grizzlies.
- Stay healthy- I know this is hard to control, but that is the only way they will get back to the grind they had last season. If Gasol can come back healthy and stay on the court the Grizzlies can make a serious playoff run.
- Find a way to score some points- The Grizzlies are tied for 25th in the league in points per game tied with the New York Knicks, which should tell you everything. The Grizzlies defense is still in the top 10, however, their scoring has not improved under Dave Joerger. He will need to tinker with lineups to find more scoring in 2014.
- Bring the Grind back to Memphis- The Grizzlies have lost 11 games at home this season; all of last year they lost nine games. It will be important for them to get back to winning at home if they want to play deep into the season.
- Make some 3s- Memphis is dead last in the lead with just less than five 3-pointers made a game. Floor spacing is so important in the NBA today, they need more out of Mike Miller and others to help open up room for Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol.
- Play consistently night in and night out- The Grizzlies have only two winning streaks all season, one of four games and one of two games. They need to find a way to bring energy and hustle each and every night. This team has talent as proof by the run they made last season; they just need to play consistent, especially on the offensive end.
2014 will bring the return of Gasol and with the West still very much up for grabs the Grizzlies can make a run if they find a way to fix some of the issues they are currently fighting.